Scottish Water consultation – Shaping the future of your water and waste water services
Waterwise is pleased to respond to the Scottish Water consultation ‘Shaping the future of your water and waste water services’.
Our key recommendations are that Scottish Water:
- Continue to deliver water efficiency programmes in partnership with energy efficiency programmes in Scotland
- Investigate the potential of rainwater harvesting at the household and neighbourhood scale to reduce water use, sewer overflows and flooding incidents
- Scottish Water and the Scottish Government should integrate demand management into the Hydro Nation programme
- The Saving Water in Scotland Network should be revived as part of the Hydro Nation programme
- Consider the carbon costs of heating hot water in the home when considering water efficiency vs new supply options
- Consider retrofitting schools for water efficiency as part of the ‘water cycle campaign’ and work with Waterwise to identify the wider water efficiency savings in the community from this programme
- Consider metering all properties to help address leakage and support customers to use water more wisely
- Consider water efficiency to enable growth and development in addition expanding your networks and infrastructure.
- Scale-up pilots delivered over the last five years and to work with Waterwise on long term communications with customers on water efficiency
- Work more closely with retailers and businesses to increase water efficiency and to consider demand management in addition to new supply measures when companies are experience growth